Thursday, September 13, 2012

Meet Dianna Wood from TheWoodsSecretGarden on Etsy



Welcome Dianna, I am so excited to have you here today!  Would you mind sharing a bit about yourself and you shop with us?

First, what is the name and link of your Etsy shop?   www.thewoodssecretgarden.etsy.com




How has your experience been on Etsy?  Interesting.   After 8 months, I realized that I had become a “Click Robot” and I think I might start a recovery group for all those who want to break the addiction.  I think I will leave it at that.    




What has been your most exciting moment as an artist here on Etsy?  Meeting so many sisters-in-Christ from all over the world and, through that, being able to use my art to bless others in a special way.  (Too long a story to tell here.)  




Do you have any advice for new Etsy shop owners?   I am still learning myself.




How long have you been an artist? As long as I can remember.  My earliest recollection was making paper mache puppets out of old newspapers and having a puppet show out of my bedroom window  using the drapes as the stage curtains.  My favorite was the giraffe!   I was 4 years old.  Since then I have experimented in just about every creative medium known to man.


What does the inspiration come from for your designs?  My love for the truth found only in Christ and my desire to show His beauty to a lost and dying world.  I think many are really hungry for TRUTH




If you had just a “tweet” (140 chars) to say something about you and your art, what would you say?  Read the Word, Love the Word, Know the Word, Live inthe light of the Word, and by all means “Wear the WORD”




How would you characterize your work?  Not for everyone, that is for sure.




How do you feel when people interpret your artwork differently?  It’s expected.  It’s pretty straightforward, though.  I don’t think interpretation is the issue.




Describe your workshops for us:  We live in a 560 square foot one bedroom apartment.  We moved the bed into the living room and use the bedroom as a study, a workshop and a dressing room. 




What’s the hardest part of being an artist?   Not enough time to get things out of my head and into reality.  I work full-time in law enforcement and also help my husband with his ministry.  




How many hours a day do you create?  Too few.  Approx 3 to 4 if possible.  However, at 52 years of age, I am starting to feel the effects of sleep deprivation.  Not recommended (smiling)




How does creating art make you feel?   Frustrated, Joyful, Depressed, Excited, Challenged.




“What is Art?” is certainly too big of a question to ask here, but what do you hope your audience takes away from your art? What statement do you hope to make?  My desire is that the beauty of the Lord and the glory of God is seen.  My desire would be to paint the beauty of Christ into souls one brush stroke at a time.  But, I feel that way about my life in general.



What are your artistic goals? My goal is to bless others with the gifts God has given me.  If I could, I would do what I do for free and hope one day that will be a possibility.  



How have you handled the business side of being an artist?  Smiling. I haven’t had to.   I don't make a great deal of sales.  I pay myself $10.00 an hour, so some of my items are pretty expensive.  If a company mass produced, probably more people could afford and therefore more would be able to own a piece of my wearable art.



Where else on the internet can we find your work besides Etsy?
 Well, being somewhat techno-challenged, owning an “ancient” computer with a high-speed (NOT) internet connection, I am somewhat limited.  However, my brilliant nephew, who is a Christian Rap artist and techno guru, finally convinced me to create a product Facebook page.  You can visit that here:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wear-the-WORD/412263378821782  and I would greatly appreciate it if you would all share my work on your Facebooks.  I have found many people really find it enjoyable and inspiring.

Thank you so much for sharing your BEAUTIFUL artwork with us and for this very inspiring interview!  

No comments:

Post a Comment